Thursday, September 8, 2011

27th Annual Vegetarian Food Festival

Okay, y'all know how heartbroken I was over losing the Burrito Bonanza contest to attend the first annual Vida Vegan Blog Conference in Portland, Oregon this year. (Oh yes, about three weeks before the conference, they told me that I got through on the waiting list but by then, it was waayyyy too close to the date and I could not afford the registration fee plus travel and accomodations.)

I say all that to say this, who needs some Vegan Blog Conference? (Yeah, I know, I know, I was not saying that in June when I wrote Not Winning.)

Why fly to Portland when I have a goldmine in my own backyard?

The 27th Vegetarian Food Festival



D'uh! How could I forget?

It's like North America's largest vegetarian event and it has been going on since the 1980s. That counts for coolness. And plus it is held in Toronto... EVERY YEAR!!!

Oh yes. And it's FREE! I love me some FREE!

There will be speakers, cooking demonstrations, performances, food, samples, books, children's area, etc., etc., etc...

It is organized annually by the Toronto Vegetarian Association of which I am a member.

I have been to and blogged about other TVA events including Compassion Week Marketplace, Social Dinners, 10, 000 Tastes, Ten Billion Reasons, and the Veggie Pride Parade.

I attended the Vegetarian Food Festival years ago and tried the imitation fish. I guess it tasted too real because my body had a reaction (I am allergic to real fish).

But I'm not letting that experience stop me from attending this event that has been promoted in many media publications including my favourite veg magazine, VegNews.

I decided not to volunteer at this event since September is a crazy busy time for me and I just wanted to enjoy the festival from the perspective of a visitor and fellow blogger.

I am really hoping to check out Terry Hope Romero's workshops about Vegan Blogging and her cooking demonstrations. Terry Hope is the co-author of Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, her recipes have won me friends and the accolades of my dearest.



Terry Hope Romero, vegan baker extraordinaire



Her famous Cupcakes that I made for the Sunday School picnic




Her red velvet and carrot cake cupcakes that I made for my ICanSurvive Picnic pre-*$&#in' awesome cream cheese frosting. Everyone loved them and could not get enough.



Check out the schedule here.

I was going to check out a bunch of wedding shows this weekend but who needs wedding shows when you got all of Vegetarian Canada/Toronto/North America in town? (Plus, I went to last year's wedding show.) There's also The Neck Check organized by Thyroid Cancer Canada happening this Saturday, September 10th at Sherway Gardens.

Can't wait!

No comments: